How do you source venues for the perfect event?
In my 15+ years as an Executive Assistant and PA, I’ve organised a fair few events – from 1:1s in coffee shops, team socials, Management and Board Meetings, through to conferences and award ceremonies.
And there are two areas that can really make or break a great occasion:
- The catering (no matter how amazing your events, if you don’t get the food right, you can forget it!!)
- The venue
So let’s take a quick look at each of these and what you might need to consider.
Now, clearly when you choose a venue, the catering offering is something you have to consider.
There are so many people with differing requirements now, it’s so important to get this right. Make sure that when you have your initial conversations with those attending, that you ask if they have any special dietary requirements – it doesn’t even have to be gluten free/vegetarian – often people simply have a real dislike of certain types of food.
For example, one venue I came across offered sausage rolls and pasties and little more – no good for anyone watching what they eat or wanting something a little bit lighter – equally another venue was offered only a vegetarian option – again, this doesn’t suit everyone. So make sure you consider your audience BEFORE you start approaching venues, so you can include this in your list of questions.
So how do you go about choosing the perfect venue for your event? There are so many things to be considered.
Have you thought about:
- The location – where your delegates are coming from, and is there easy access for public transport?
- The catering available (we’ve touched on this above)?
- The access – what accessibility is there for people with (for example) a wheelchair – are there a lot of stairs? Is there a lift or a ramp?
- The facilities – what do you need in the room for the event in terms of stationary and IT/audio equipment – do you need a stage, or a lectern, or a microphone?
Also consider whether you should do a site visit, or as a minimum ask for some photos or dimensions of the room/s that you will be using.
There are so many things to consider, that we’ve put together this checklist of things to look out for when you do your site visit
Exeter Venue Directory
If the event you are arranging happens to be in or near Exeter, Devon – we have the perfect guide for you to help you find the right venue. Regularly updated with new venues, you can download your copy of the Exeter Venue Directory here.
We hope your event is a success
But don’t forget that if you need a helping hand in arranging it, we can help with:
- Event organisation
- Event travel planning
- Organising speakers
- Venue finding
- Planning the format of the event
- Setting up the event online (e.g. EventBrite)
- Preparing and issuing invitations
- Following up RSVPs
- Dealing with enquiries
- Event promotion
- Facilitation/welcoming delegates
- Post-event follow up/feedback
To ask for our help with your event, contact us here.